Thursday, September 17, 2009

Our Favorite!


It started over a year ago when I knew Joel had asked for "The Homecoming" for Christmas, which was the original Walton's Christmas special before it became a series. Well, I couldn't find it anywhere in the stores and although I had seen it online, it was too late to get it here by Christmas.

So, Father's Day rolled around and even though I still couldn't find what I was exactly looking for, I did find the series on DVD. I obviously wanted to start with season one, but they were out and so I went ahead and got the second series. We began watching them, and quite frankly it had been years since I had seen the show, so it was kind of neat to watch it once again.We quickly "got hooked" and being that there are nine seasons and multiple discs in each season, that means a lot of Waltons watching!
What I find so meaningful about the show, is that it's not "just a show" but a time that is based on Earl Hamner's real family's life and circumstances. Even though it was a time that was extremely tough financially, the closeness and respect that they held for each other somehow over shadowed the tough times. It's just a beautiful portrayal of family from how the grandparents treated each other, to the love the parents had for one another and of course the love that they had for their children!

Thanks to my library for letting me watch this for the past 15 months during my lunch and with Joel in the evenings. (if he's not too tired!) :)

"Good night John Boy!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the Waltons way back when and never missed as episode. Wholesome family entertainment. I think Grandpa Walton was my favorite character. Was sad when he (Will Geer) passed away.

Donna

OneHappyfamily said...

Glad you found a series you like.

Stacey said...

I have never seen that show before. Is it good for the whole family?

OneHappyfamily said...

Okay. Enough with the Waltons. Shut them off and update your blog... Love ya. To bad you cant go tomorrow. It would have been fun.